The good news is: I did get it to the point yesterday where it was ready for fabric. (And you all offered excellent input; the general consensus that a little stool is a good opportunity for something fun is, I'm sure, absolutely right.) The bad news is: I couldn't get the "teacher" to talk to me (or, at least, not talk to me like I'm an idiot) about how to finish this off. As he noted, there are countless options. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about what they are, nevermind the pros and cons of each, to make an informed decision.
The way he had me do this, it's now a different shape than it started out — more mushroom-shaped. Before, the poly batting came straight down the sides and under the frame, making for a nice straight, firm rectangle, with the just curve of the legs at each corner. Now there are competing curves, and there was a, er, um, communication breakdown when I tried to discuss the issues and options with him. After some fuming, I decided the best thing to do is set it aside. I know exactly what I want to do with those two chairs in the living room and I'd rather be spending my time on them. So the stool came home with me in its muslin stage. I'll come back to it at a later date.
For Mignon and the record, though, here are the steps in between—
The burlap got topped with cotton:
On top of which sits the foam:
A layer of poly fiber holds it all together:
And then the muslin, seen up top, provides a nice smooth underlayer for the fabric.
As for Laura, she's tying coils. More on that next week ...