The one big thing that absolutely has to happen before the rain starts up next month is getting the deck washed, fungus-treated and sealed. It's a nasty job so we hired a helper, who came today to get it going. Having cleared the deck (hardy-har), I stepped into the basement, and next thing I knew I was trapped -- they'd begun working and there was filthy water flying everywhere. So I took the opportunity to begin cleaning out the unfinished utility room that's to one day be my office. A room that has its windows boarded up and has been used (quite messily) for storage since we got here two years ago.
I have been dying to do this.
I'm going to make a photo album for this project, with the full story, and update it at intervals along the way. But the short version for now is that I've emptied it out except for the old enamel cabinet (which came from my cousins' kitchen and, we've decided, will become the base of the potting table). And, more important, we unboarded one of the windows. So we've seen the room with daylight for the first time ever. I pulled a cheapo Ikea table in here from the basement to get a feel for the dimensions of the space, and it's from that table, sitting in front of the newly revealed window, that I type. O joyous day.